The mission of Maranatha is to develop leaders for ministry in the local church and the world “To the Praise of His Glory.” Part of developing such leaders is to encourage the use of creativity and imagination. A creative writing contest is being offered to any Maranatha student who wishes to develop and share their creative imagination. Please read and follow these directions:
- Write a 5-page short story.
- Use Times Roman 12-point, double space, and maintain a one-inch margin.
- Place a header on each page which includes your student ID number and the page number.
- Center the title on the first page of the entry.
- Paperclip a cover page which includes your name, brief biographical information, contact information and reason for choosing to enter this contest. This will be removed prior to the entries being given to the judges to maintain anonymity.
- Submit the short story to Cindy Stratford in the Executive Office by 5 p.m. on April 1 in both a hard copy and electronic .docx file format.
- By entering this contest, entrants affirm that this is an original work and grant Maranatha the nonexclusive right to edit and publish this story.
The winning author will be awarded a check for $100 and a copy of Dr. Steve Stratford’s published book, Kate Canby and the Holocharm of Time, which inspired this contest. The winning story will be published on Maranatha’s website and considered for inclusion in other Maranatha publications. The prize will be presented at the Scholarship Chapel on April 29, 2014.
Our judges look forward to reading your entries, and the College looks forward to celebrating the creativity and imagination that future servants are developing.
Download the Creative Writing Contest Form
Read the 2012 first place winner, Footprints by Michelle Roth
Read the 2012 runnerup, Redemption by Charity Koenig
Read the 2011 winner, Dead Without Works by Rachel Ray
Read the 2011 runnerup, Chiaroscuro by Deb Lew