You already love playing basketball. How about a whole week of hoops against players your age and skill level from around the country? You’ll love the competition, but you’ll also learn fundamental skills in defense, shooting, passing, and ball-handling. When you’re not learning, you’ll be competing–1-on-1, 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 tournaments as well as skills tests and individual competitions.
Instruction is not limited to basketball, with personal, camp and dorm sessions throughout the day, devoted to strengthening your walk with Christ. Our hope is that you will not only walk away with a better understanding of how to pick and roll, but that you would know the word of God that has the power to change lives.
ATTENTION: All adults (18 and over), including coaches/sponsors, who are involved in any supervisory role in the camps (helping coach/teach, driving vans etc.), or are staying overnight in the dorms, MUST complete the following. Anyone who completed this process in 2012 will not be required to do so again.
- Watch the Child Worker’s Video
- Read through the Abuse Prevention Policies
- Read and sign the Volunteer Training Form
Maranatha’s summer sports camps are designed to develop skills, emphasize character qualities, and encourage athleticism in young people. Camps are open to students entering 6th through 12th grade (entering college freshman allowed). We host two volleyball camps–one for individual players, one for entire teams. We also offer great camps for soccer, boys basketball, and girls basketball. Come learn from Maranatha’s experienced coaching staff as well as current and former Crusader athletes. You’ll make lots of new friends, enjoy fun activities, grow spiritually during Bible studies and group devotions, and enjoy competing against other athletes from around the country.
Points of Emphasis
- Ball-handling fundamentals
- Sportsmanship as a Christian athlete
- Daily team competitions
- Defensive fundamentals and concepts
- Offensive fundamentals and concepts
- Daily Bible challenges
- 1-on-1, 3-on-3, and 5-on-5 tournaments
- Campers: $235 on or before May 1 ($260 after May 1.)
- Coaches: Coaches are encouraged to attend camp with their teams. The coaches fee for room and board is $50.
Arrival and Departure Information
- Check-in: Monday, June 24 from 3 to 5 p.m. in the main gym lobby.
- Check-out: Saturday, June 29 with lunch at 11:30 a.m.
- Team Discount: Ten or more from the same school or church receive $10 discount each
- Multiple Camp Discount: Campers coming to multiple athletic camps receive a $40 discount- $20 off each camp
- Maranatha Family Discount: Children of Maranatha faculty or staff, and who are lower than 9th grade, receive a 50% discount
Salscheider, 32, played professional basketball in Australia, Denmark, and the U.S. from 2003-09. He was an assistant coach for Edgewood College in 2011-12 before taking over as head coach for Maranatha’s men’s basketball team in 2012-13.
What to Bring
- Proof of Medical Insurance
- Indoor and outdoor shoes
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Bible, notebook, pen and pencil
- Cell Phones are permitted but may not be used during activities or after lights out
What not to Bring
- Air Conditioners
- MP3 players, Ipods, DVD or CD players, headphones
- Playing cards, fireworks, knives, drugs, alcohol, or tobacco products
- Please keep athletic shorts knee-length.
- Please do not bring sleeveless T-shirts or tank-tops.
- Bring a swimsuit that is knee-length.
- Anyone registering after the May 1 deadline is not guaranteed a T-shirt.
- Coaches must register T-shirt sizes.
- Coaches must register online along with the campers.