The Piano Pedagogy Certificate Program offers an alternative opportunity for piano teachers who are unable to pursue a traditional degree program or piano teachers who wish to enhance and update skills in teaching and/or performance. This program is also available to Maranatha college students who have chosen a non-music major but are accomplished pianists interested in teaching.
Maranatha’s Piano Pedagogy Certificate Program is designed to help students become well versed in analytically critiquing various piano methods, teaching and learning philosophies, child and adult developmental theories, piano technique approaches, and the many other aspects that are relevant to the real world of piano teaching.
Furthermore, the Maranatha piano pedagogy faculty members do not promote just one teaching philosophy, but rather they provide students with adequate tools and the knowledge needed to selectively choose the best from all possible approaches. The program is designed to develop professionals who are not only proficient in teaching elementary, intermediate, and early advanced levels of piano lessons (private and group), but are also actively involved in the profession (professional organizations).
Course Requirements (13 college credits)
Students enrolled in the Piano Pedagogy Certificate Program will enroll in the following courses through Maranatha Baptist Bible College as a guest student (unless the student is a Maranatha student). For course descriptions, please see the the catalog. To receive credit towards the Piano Pedagogy Certificate, students must earn a course grade of a C- or higher in the following courses. For credit hour tuition cost, please see the tuition cost per credit when taking less than 12 credits per semester (note: a music lab fee may also be assessed depending upon the course).
Required Courses (10 credits required):
- FIPD 111 Piano Pedagogy I (2 credits) Typically offered on Tuesdays/Thursdays 10:20-11:10 Fall Semesters
- FIPD 211 Piano Pedagogy II (2 credits) Typically offered on Tuesdays/Thursdays 10:20-11:10 Spring Semesters Even Years
- FIPD 350 Piano Pedagogy III (2 credits) Typically offered on Monday/Fridays 8:20-9:10 Fall Semesters Even Years OR FIPD 221 Keyboard Literature (2 credits) Typically offered on Tuesdays/Thursdays 10:20-11:10 Spring Semesters Odd Years
- FIMU 101 Basic Music Literature (3 credits) Online (Email: email@example.com) or Typically offered on Monday/Wednesday/Fridays 10:20-11:10 Fall Semesters
- FIPD 411 Piano Pedagogy Practicum (1 credit) Typically offered Thursdays 1:30-2:20: Note: as a part of this course, students must obtain their National Certification through the MTNA.
Elective Courses (3 credits required):
- ELMU 311 Early Childhood Music and Movement (1-2 credits)
- FISM 235 Hymnplaying Courses or Hymnplaying Pedagogy (1-2 credits)
- FIMU 114 Harmony 1 (2 credits)
- FIPD 311 Keyboard Ensembles (1 credit)
- Minimum of four semesters of private lessons at Maranatha Piano Prep School.
- Students must take lessons from a Maranatha Piano Prep School Faculty Member.
- For info on taking private lessons through Maranatha Piano Prep School, see the piano prep website.
- Pass the test out requirements for Keyboard Skills I and II (see the test out section in the Music Department Handbook)
- Students will be assessed a testing fee ($25.00)
- Students need to complete two semesters of fieldwork (conference attendance, observations, and interviews).
- No fee is assessed for fieldwork.
- Students need to complete two semesters of student teaching. Student teaching may be completed in a private studio. If done in a private studio, students must videotape the lessons.
- Students will be assessed a fee equivalent to one-fourth of an academic credit (payable to Maranatha Piano Prep School) per semester of student teaching.
- The recital repertoire must include one piece from each musical period and one piano duet (three of the pieces must be memorized)
- Students will be assessed a recital fee equivalent to one-fourth of an academic credit (payable to Maranatha Piano Prep School) to cover room rental/setup/tuning and program printing, etc.
- The non-degree piano pedagogy certificate is conferred by Maranatha Piano Prep School (not Maranatha Baptist Bible College).
- The courses are registered through the college, and lessons are registered through the prep school.
- Non-Maranatha students earning the certificate must register for classes as a guest student. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More Questions? Please email email@example.com