Since Scriptures clearly admonish believers to be faithful in assembling together, attendance is required at all Sunday morning (Sunday School and morning worship count as one service), Sunday evening and the mid-week services. Partnering Churches are designated by the Office of Student Activities.
- Respect for the Lord and His Word is expected. Sleeping, talking, studying, eating, drinking, cell phone use and any other distracting behaviors will result in disciplinary action.
Maranatha encourages local church ministry participation and requires each student to select and attend a partnering church for the semester.
Attending Your Permanent Church
- You are expected to attend your permanent church throughout the semester. To change your permanent church, see the Office of Student Activities.
- When attending your extension church you must return to campus unless you have an Epass for the afternoon or your church has approved afternoon arrangments for you [SL 8/12].
- If you will be visiting a church other than your permanent church, you must submit an Epass by noon on Wednesday [SL 11/09].
- Failure to fill out an Epass when missing your permanent church will result in disciplinary action.
Understanding Attendance Expectations
You are allowed one excused absence a week for work, and you must attend at least two of the following services a week: Sunday morning, Sunday evening, or mid-week service.
- Dorm students must report to their Residence Supervisor.
- Off Campus students should notify the Student Life Office
Absences from Sunday services for travel (over 200 miles away) is permitted only if approved in advance by the Student Life Office.
- Only one travel absence a week will be approved and you may not miss both Sunday morning and evening services unless approved in advance by the Student Life Office.
Athletes are not excused from Sunday school or church because of a late Saturday night return.
Occasionally the Dean of Students and the President will require students to attend church on campus or attend church in town due to snow, ice, or other hazardous weather conditions. The decision to require students to stay on campus is made after:
- Checking the news to see what the weather forecast is going to be.
- Checking to see what other churches are doing and whether or not they have cancelled their services.
- Checking with the pastors from Calvary and Fellowship in town to confirm whether or not they are having church.
- Calling the Sherriff’s Department to get information regarding road conditions and whether or not it is safe to travel.
Dress, Music, Drama, Dating, and Translations during Ministry
You should abide by college standards of dress unless you have permission from the Student Life Office or the Ministry Services Office to do otherwise.
All student selected vocal and instrumental numbers (including piano and organ), readings, dramatizations, and song leading must conform to Maranatha’s standards and guidelines [AC 5/09].
Please refer to the dating off campus policies.
Please refer to the Bible Translations policy.
Making Your Permanent Church Selection
- You indicate your Permanent Church for the semester by filling out the PCS online form.
- Mixed groups of 3 or more must have a Chaperone. Couples may not ride alone unchaperoned [SL 8/12].
- You must select your permanent church or submit a PCS online form by the second Thursday in September (fall semester). You should only submit a PCS for the spring semester if you are changing your permanent church. The deadline for the Spring PCS submission is the second Thursday in January.
- You will be contacted if there is a problem with your Permanent Church Selection, otherwise it is considered approved.
Getting Additional Church Passes
- Any overnight or Sunday afternoon housing arrangements (other than those already covered in your PCS) requires an invitation and a paper pass.