At Maranatha, we value education and class attendance. Regular class attendance is required of every student enrolled in the College. Every day in the classroom, students should come prepared, listen intently, actively interact with the ideas as they write class notes, and engage in class discussion. Without loss of credit for the course,
- Students on Good Academic Standing are allowed two weeks of class absences each semester.
- Students who are Activities Ineligible are allowed one week of class absences each semester.
- Students who are on the Dean’s or President’s List and have earned more than 15 semester hours in residence at Maranatha are allowed three weeks of class absences each semester.
With this policy, there are no “excused absences” or “unexcused absences,” just absences. Students need to watch their absences carefully. Students do not get two weeks’ worth of cuts and choir tour, illness, and a baseball trip. These limits are firm and the consequence for exceeding them is loss of credit for the course.
Students must track their own absences and reserve absences for legitimate causes. The student is responsible for all assignments and class lectures. Faculty determine their own policies regarding late course work.
Students who are absent more than their attendance status permits, including both official College activities and personal absences in any given course, will not be granted credit for the course, except by special permission from the Academic Committee. A grade of WF, OC or NC will be given for exceeding absence limits depending upon timing and the grade earned in the course at the point of dismissal from class.
Confirm the record of your attendance. Faculty record class absences in the Learning Management System (LMS) online. This is the official and authoritative record of attendance for each course. Students are responsible for checking their attendance record in the LMS and should regularly examine the record for accuracy. Students should contact the instructor to appeal what they believe to be a recording error in the LMS within two weeks of the date the absence was recorded. No appeals after this date will be considered.
Dates on which no absences are permitted. The College Activities Calendar identifies days on which no absences are allowed. Students will be assessed a $75.00 fine for each class missed on days when absences are not permitted, other than for illness, injury, or serious family emergency. No absences are allowed during:
- The first week of each semester
- Missions Conference
- The Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving (Students may take cuts on the Monday and Tuesday before or the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving break, but not both. Or students may take the Tuesday before and the Monday after Thanksgiving break.)
- The Thursday and Friday before and Monday and Tuesday after Spring Break
- And semester exams
Policy created: [AC 5/11]
Classes Cancelled Due to Inclement Weather
You will be notified by email and text using the Alert Notification system in case of class cancellations due to inclement weather.